Blue Seas, Beautiful Coasts
Baja California is the world's second-longest peninsula, stretching more than 745 miles south of the California border, flanked on the west by the Pacific ocean and on the east by the warm blue waters of the Sea of Cortez.
The Sea of Cortez is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most diverse marine environments on the planet. The French explorer, Jaques Cousteau, referred to it as the “world’s aquarium,” due to the abundance of marine wildlife.
Island Activity Paradise
This expedition cruise starts in La Paz and sails to explore remote islands where will use our expedition landing craft to go ashore for hiking, wildlife- and birdwatching, enjoying water activities and relaxing on white sandy beaches.
We will also visit the charming and historic town of Loreto, as well as enjoy two relaxing days at sea. On the Pacific coast, we will call on the vibrant city of Ensenada before ending the cruise in San Diego, California.
- Explore authentic Baja California - islands of remote and rugged beauty
- Scan for abundant marine wildlife and sea birds in “the world´s aquarium”
- Enjoy relaxing on superb beaches
- Visit colorful Mexican coastal towns
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for US (ESTA) - for details please see the Entry Requirements
Viva Mexico! - La Paz, Baja California, Mexico - Embarkation
We welcome you to the port of Pichilingue in La Paz, the capital of southern Baja California. Before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen, we recommend a visit to La Paz’s waterfront malecón and the historic center around the Plaza Constitución. In the evening, we set sail northbound.
Mangroves & Beaches - Isla San José, Mexico - Full Day
Today we hope to land on the west side of Isla San José, at Punta Colorada. The island's landscape is full of contrasts: golden mountains form a background for green mangroves, white sandy beaches and turquoise waters.
Reptiles & Cacti - Isla Santa Catalina, Mexico - Full Day
We take you to an uninhabited island to the north: Isla Santa Catalina. It is home to several unique species of flowers and plants.
Chuckwallas - Isla San Esteban, Mexico - Full Day
San Esteban Island is a small island in the Gulf of California near Tiburón Island. It was once inhabited by the indigenous Seri people. The geographic isolation made this island the habitat of many odd endemic species such as the San Esteban chuckwalla, a type of iguana.
Charming Fishing Town - Loreto, Mexico - Full Day
Next, we visit the picturesque resort town of Loreto. Stroll along the charming beach promenade, explore the town center with its colonial buildings and cobblestone streets, learn about the town's fascinating history or visit a restaurant to sample some of the local cuisine.
Clean up Las Garzas Estuary with Local School (2 hrs)
Join us on an easy one km walk to Las Garzas Estuary, rich in birdlife, and take part in a beach cleanup with a local school. Hurtigruten takes environmental protection seriously and participates in beach cleanups around the world. This is your chance to help us and set a good example for youth by collaborating with a local school.
Relax and Unwind - Isla San Francisco, Mexico - Full Day
We continue our journey southbound along the east coast of Baja California Sur and visit San Francisco Island. The small isle is a habitat for 10 species of reptiles, one of them being the endemic Isla San Francisco Whiptail.
At your Leisure - At sea
We sail northbound along the west coast of Baja California. Days at sea mean you can join the expedition team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh sea air scouting for wildlife.
Delights of the Pacific - Ensenada, Mexico - Full Day
Enjoy the vibrant coastal city of Ensenada, which offers plenty of options. Stroll along the malecón, visit the local fish market, sample some amazing fresh seafood or taste award-winning local wines.
La Bufadora express (4 h)
See one of Ensenada’s major attractions - La Bufadora, a natural blowhole that spouts sea spray as high as 30 metres into the sky. You board a motorcoach for 1.5 hours of sightseeing, visiting La Bufadora and shopping at an open air market. Enjoy two included tacos and a refreshment from one of the best stands in town before returning to the ship.
Fascinating San Diego - San Diego, USA - Disembarkation
The port of San Diego, California, welcomes you. Spend some time after disembarkation to enjoy the many sights of this fascinating and lovely city.
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.