Sail with the Experts
Hurtigruten has unmatched experience in Svalbard – dating back to 1896. On this voyage we visit the northwestern coast of Svalbard, a stunning region of pristine nature.
Kingdom of Wildlife
As we explore, watch for seals, countless seabirds, Arctic fox, reindeer and of course, keep a sharp eye out for Svalbard’s polar bears. There’s a good chance we’ll encounter the King of the North – after all, there are more polar bears than people on the archipelago.
This Svalbard expedition cruise offers great optional excursion opportunities such as hiking, kayaking and more on land and water.
During spring, beautiful colors and contrasts frame dramatic glaciers, majestic mountains, deep fjords, buzzing bird cliffs and endless Arctic tundra. The Midnight Sun makes it possible to fill your days and nights with unforgettable experiences.
Svalbard feels like home to us, so we are dedicated to preserving its pristine environment for generations to come. On this Spitsbergern cruise, you can join in our “Beach Clean Up on Svalbard” activities. Hurtigruten is a proud member of the “Clean up Svalbard” team, part of our commitment to taking nothing but great photos and leaving nothing behind but footprints in the amazing areas we explore.
- Spot polar bears – high likelihood
- See the Midnight Sun in untouched Arctic wilderness
- Explore Svalbard´s beautiful west coast
- Discover historic places and untouched nature
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Coach-class flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform about the sights you’ll see, while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
From 59º N to 78º N - Oslo / Longyearbyen - Flight & Overnight - Hotel
Before your evening flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, spend the day in the museums, parks and cafés of Norway’s capital city. When you arrive in Svalbard, you discover an entirely different world - a small town perched on the edge of vast Arctic tundra. Transfer to your hotel and overnight.
Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic - Longyearbyen - Embarkation
Join an exciting excursion after lunch to get to know this frontier town. The mighty Arctic wilderness dominates life here, but Longyearbyen maintains a lively cultural life, and is considered a prime destination for adventure travelers worldwide. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of this colorful outpost before boarding your ship, MS Spitsbergen.
Amazing Fjords with Fascinating History - North West Spitsbergen National Park
Spitsbergen´s northwestern corner is strewn with rugged islands, beautiful fjords and isolated beaches. It is also the site of spectacularly scenic Northwest-Spitsbergen National Park.
This is true wilderness, so the captain works with the elements to create the best itinerary for your expedition cruise.
We hope to visit Kongsfjorden, one of the most beautiful fjord areas in Spitsbergen, where mighty glaciers calve icebergs into the sea, framed by stunning mountains. Another possibility is Ny-Ålesund, an international research center hosting a picturesque mix of old and new buildings.
We may also call on the Magdalenafjorden and Gravneset areas, where the hardy among us may get the chance to bathe in the sea and earn a rare Arctic swimming certificate. Wherever we explore, the expedition team offers opportunities to join in landings, ice-cruising and more.
Fjord, Wilderness - The Isfjord
We sail into and explore Isfjord, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard, to admire the immense valleys carved out of the mountains by giant glaciers that covered the area some 10,000 years ago. Watch for the region’s rich population of Svalbard reindeer.
End of the Expedition - Longyearbyen / Oslo - Disembarkation & Flight
As we arrive back in Longyearbyen, admire the magnificent scenery surrounding this Arctic outpost, just a few hundred miles from the geographic North Pole. Transfer to the airport for your night flight. Arrival early in the morning in Oslo.
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.