Spend one week discovering the Pacific west coast of North America as we call on modern cities and charming towns along the way.
California's Golden Coast
We sail from colorful San Diego to explore California's golden beaches, rolling hills, and award-winning wine regions. We visit the iconic sights of Los Angeles before making our way to the small port city of Monterey, where you can wander through the historic quarter and enjoy a range of uniquely Californian experiences. Next up is the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco, where you can explore the hills and valleys of this elegant “City by the Bay.”
North to Rugged Beauty
We continue north along the Pacific coast to enjoy two full days at sea. Many whales, various marine species and sea birds thrive in these nutrient-rich waters, so keep a sharp watch out from deck!
We sail past Washington State's rugged coastline and mist-shrouded mountains into the Pacific Northwest’s largest city, Seattle, where we enjoy its many exciting attractions and explore nearby natural beauty.
Finally, we sail northbound into British Columbia, Canada, a province of vast rainforests and fjord-like channels, and end our cruise in cosmopolitan Vancouver.
- Experience a fantastic expedition cruise giving you the best of the west
- Enjoy late spring´s pleasant temperatures and blooming flowers
- See the full west coast: starting in San Diego and ending in Vancouver, Canada
- Watch for abundant marine wildlife and sea birds
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Transfer from ship to hotel in Vancouver
- One hotel night in Vancouver after the voyage including breakfast
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the regions we sail through
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- Visa for U.S. - for details please see Visa information in our Entry Requirements
America’s Finest City - San Diego, USA - Embarkation
San Diego is the second-largest city in California and often described as “America’s Finest City,” due to the high quality of life here. Before embarking on MS Roald Amundsen, we recommend visiting Balboa Park’s museums, art galleries, zoo and beautiful gardens.
Hollywood & Walk of Fame - Los Angeles, USA - Full Day
LA is known for the beach life in Santa Monica and Venice Beach, for its many theme parks and, of course, for Hollywood, the film industry mecca. Spend the day enjoying the city’s many attractions or join the expedition team to discover some of the area’s natural gems.
Beach clean-up (2 - 3 hrs)
Help us keep our oceans clean. The most important daily task of our crews is stopping waste before it reaches the sea. On every landing at every destination, we encourage our guests to help us collect and properly dispose of waste. We also arrange large beach cleanups at carefully selected spots.
Living History - Monterey, USA - Half Day
In the afternoon, we arrive in Monterey, a picturesque small port city known for its beautifully renovated buildings, Cannery Row and Fisherman’s Wharf. Spend the afternoon and evening in downtown Monterey, wander through the historic quarter or join one of our optional excursions featuring iconic California experiences.
Walking Tour of Cannery Row (2 hrs)
Walk with us along the pier to Cannery Row for a guided tour of this historic part of the city. See Monterey’s comical sea lions and get plenty of opportunities to capture the perfect photo. You also get the chance to shop, freely wander, or visit the famous Monterey Bay Aquarium before returning to the ship.
City by the Bay - San Francisco, USA - Full Day
Enjoy a full day in San Francisco! Ride a cable car up steep hills, enjoy Victorian architecture, visit Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz, and enjoy the city's incredible food scene. Our optional excursion program will take you to the city's top sights and hidden treasures.
Walk to Lands End Viewpoint / Palace of Fine arts (4h15)
Walk along a path to Lands End viewpoint with breathtaking views of San Francisco's famous Golden Gate Bridge. Prefer not to walk, then ride to the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco's Marina District. Built in 1915, the elegant building isn't only fascinating outside, it’s just as grand inside. Find out as you explore at your leisure.
North Along the Pacific Coast - At sea
Days at sea mean you can join the expedition team for interesting lectures, learn the basics of expedition photography, and spend time out on deck enjoying the fresh salt air as you scout for wildlife. Of course, there’s also plenty time to chat with fellow explorers.
The Emerald City - Seattle, USA - Full Day
We will have a full day here to discover Seattle´s sights at your leisure or on optional excursions. Visit Pike Place Market and the iconic Space Needle. Seattle is often referred to as the “Emerald City,” because of nearby evergreen forests. You also get opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation / Downtown (2hrs)
Join us on a visit to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Discovery Center in Seattle. Explore interactive exhibits and hear powerful stories about how the Gates Foundation and its partners are improving quality of life for billions of people worldwide. Discover innovations and bold ideas to solve challenges facing our most vulnerable communities locally and globally. Find out how ordinary people can change the world—and get inspired to take action.
Welcome to Canada! - Vancouver, Canada - Disembarkation
In the morning, we arrive in beautiful Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada. After disembarkation we transfer you to your hotel for an overnight stay.
End of Your Expedition - Vancouver, Canada
We recommend spending some extra time to enjoy this big city with small town charm before flying home. Why not book one of our exciting post-cruise Land Adventures to extend your stay?
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.